Here’s a quick tip. We’re actively encouraging our customers to reuse candle containers (and repurpose other crockery and heat-resistant glassware) but one question we often get asked is how to get the wax dregs out of a previously used container.
This is how we do it. Follow this at your own risk but it works for us.
If there’s lots of wax left
… using your old candle making saucepan, fill it to around 1/3rd with water. Get it nice and hot and drop the old container in it – don’t let the water go into the wax though! The wax will melt and you can pour it out. Wipe it with a bit of kitchen towel to get the remainder off.
You may well find that there’s a layer of it left around the edge so…
To get rid of the remaining dregs
Take an old plate and put several sheets of kitchen towel on it. Now take your glass or china container (which should be almost empty) and put it upside down in the microwave on top of the kitchen paper. Turn the microwave on (we don’t need to remind you that you can’t do this if the container has any metal in it do we?) for 20-30 seconds.
The microwave will melt the wax and it’ll drop onto the kitchen towel and be absorbed. You may need to use several 20-30 second bursts of the microwave as you don’t want it to get too hot.
This method works a treat for us but, as we said, try it at your own risk.